Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Terrible Stories; Chapter two
This one is titled "From the Cadaver" The poems are about breast cancer and a woman's mastectomy. Thankfully, No one in my family has ever been affected by any type of cancer. We have been blessed to not understand what that type of pain and suffering is like. This particular set of poems really touched me because now I am seeing the pain of these women, in the sense that they are losing their womanhood, their motherly attributes. However, Clifton is strong in her writings to signify that one small obstacle will not be the cause of all her pain, and she will be the same woman. This is how she feels every woman should treat their setbacks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is one of the things I've heard people say. I've also heard women with cancer say that they don't lose those true elements of themselves, but they have to fight to remind others of that who place such symbolic importance on women's breasts as those things. It's a great place for you to go Ethan, outside your knowledge zone. I'm glad you're sharing your experiences of these poems with me.
ReplyDelete